Having a latte seems like a decadent treat – the foam, the sugary syrups, and of course, the north-of-$5 price tag. But your barista won’t tell you this: there’s a way to make your favorite coffee concoction at home. Even better? It doesn’t require a fancy espresso machine.
(But if you have one, hey, lucky you!)
A traditional latte mixes espresso with steamed milk and milk foam. But for the DIY crowd, it’s much quicker and easier to make a drink a little more similar to a café au lait, which is warmed, steamed milk added to coffee. This brew-at-home version is the best of both worlds.
Here’s what you need:
- Espresso or strongly brewed coffee, your choice
- 1 cup 2% or nonfat milk
- Microwaveable bowl and plasticwrap
- Spoon and fork
- Your favorite stainless steel reusable travel mug
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Brew your espresso or strong coffee and pour it into your stainless steel travel mug. Set aside with the lid screwed on to stay warm. (Psst… elevate your latte by making pourover coffee. We’ve got the how-to here).
- Pour your milk into the microwaveable bowl. Whisk vigorously until the milk is frothy (probably around 30-60 seconds, depending on how much you work out your biceps).
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Use a fork to poke holes in the wrap.
- Microwave until hot (one or two minutes).
- Take the plastic wrap off of the bowl and whisk until foamy.
- Pour the warm milk onto your coffee or espresso, using a spoon to hold back the foam.
- Use the spoon to scoop foam onto your latte, as much as you want! Sprinkle with cinnamon or cocoa powder if the urge strikes.
Need a visual? We rounded up our finest whisker in the office to show you how the at-home latte is done (we even made it pumpkin spice themed, because we’re basic like that). Plus, with an easy-clean lid on your stainless steel travel mug, you can add as much whipped cream as you want (a.k.a. all of it) and know it’ll still be easy to wash out your travel mug when you’re finished.
In the meantime, we’ll be working on our latte art.Back to Blog Home